Social Media Marketing for Many Generations
It does not matter what your business is there’s a fantastic chance you have a broad customer base. There are around two billion people who use social media and accomplishing them is easier than ever. Or is it?
Age is your Rage
In regards to advertising, social networking content for your audience is key. One way to aim your social media marketing campaigns is by age category.
Remember when I mentioned there are approximately 2 billion people using social networking? Well clearly they are not on at the identical moment. Generational groups have different tastes and habits in regards to their preferred social networking websites. They have various manners they participate with content.
Production Z (age 13-19)
It’s unwise to discount this group. They’re the future and understand what they need and how to get it. If you are not considering them advertising campaigns you’re missing out on future sales. If you put yourself in their minds now they will remember you in the future. Let’s not overlook the effect they have in their parents. I do not know about you but my teenagers are my “go to” on what is in and what is not. Typically, if they do not suggest it I do not give it another thought.
- They spend approximately $44 billion in annual purchasing power
- The normal attention span is 8 minutes
- 33 percent would like brands to mail them
- 32% say Instagram is their treasured social networking site
- They’re connected for 1 billion hours every day, however about half (46 percent) are connected 10+ hours every day. (wiki.com)
- One-in-four (25%) are actively connected (checking email, messages, etc.) within 5 minutes of waking, while almost three-in-four (73%) are connected in one hour or even less. (wiki.com)
- Generation Z may travel across electronic mediums and it’s very important to manufacturers to travel together.
This class, more than any other, needs to be more impressed instantly. Having an average 8-second attention span, you be imaginative and attention grabbing or you’re likely to eliminate this particular group.
Some entrepreneurs might find it difficult to wrap their minds around millennial consumers but they need to do it. No if, ands or even butts.This, in my opinion, is the strongest group. If you are not reaching this class then you might too hang it up now. Not merely do Millennials have a direct impact on Generation Z, they’ve got it Generation X and Baby Boomers. If you’re able to corner this market you have a good likelihood of cornering the others too.
- Numbering approximately 77 million, millennials make up roughly one-fourth of the US population (Nielsen).
- Millennials at the usa wield roughly $1.3 billion in annual purchasing power (Boston Consulting Group).
- 87 percent of online adults in the US age 18 to 29 utilize Facebook, with 53 percent on Instagram, 37 percent on Twitter and 34 percentage on Pinterest (Pew Research Center). That age class represents a large chunk of millennials.
- Five from six millennials from the usa connect with businesses on social networking networks (SDL).
- Millennials in the US are seven times more likely to give their private information to a trusted brand than to some other manufacturer (SDL).
- 66 percentage of millennials at the usa follow a business or brand on Twitter and 64% like a business or brand on Facebook to score a voucher or discount (University of Massachusetts Dartmouth).
- 43 percent of Millennials want manufacturers to reach them through email.
It’s staggering the influence this generation has on different generations.
Generation X (age 36-49)
As a part of the generation I will say that more than any other, we’re stuck in the center and have a tendency to get forgotten.
It might be time for you to begin shifting your attention to Gen Xers. As the Baby Boomers continue to age, we are finding they are more consumed with retirement and spending more some time with their Grandkids than the hottest hi-tech gadget.
For the first time, adults identified as Generation X have been spending the money on luxury items compared to Baby Boomers. Let that sink in for a moment.
Generation X is portion of the sole generation who regularly consumes their marketing messages from each the media channels including social networking and cellular (like Baby Boomers) and also TV/Cable (unlike Gen Y). It’s similar to the trifecta for every one the major brands advertising campaigns.
- Numbering approximately 77 million, Gen X makes up roughly one-fourth of the US population (Nielsen).
- Gen X at the usa wield roughly $1.3 billion in annual purchasing power (Boston Consulting Group).
- 87 percent of online adults in the US age 18 to 29 utilize Facebook, with 53 percent on Instagram, 37 percent on Twitter and 34 percentage on Pinterest (Pew Research Center). That age class represents a large chunk of Gen X.
- Five from six Gen X at the usa connect with businesses on social networking networks (SDL).
- Gen X at the usa are seven times more likely to give their private information to a trusted brand than to any other manufacturer (SDL).
- 66% of Gen X at the usa follow a business or brand on Twitter and 64% like a business or brand on Facebook to score a voucher or discount (University of Massachusetts Dartmouth).
- 51% of US Gen X would share data with businesses in exchange for a bonus (USC Annenberg Center for the Digital Future).
While I don’t believe my generation has become the most significant to market to I do not think this, by any means, you need to leave them out totally. Generation X type of holds each the cards when it comes to purchasing power. They’re old enough to not have student loans also have begun their professions, so, having additional income and young enough to still make a advertising impression on and earn their extra dollars.
Baby Boomers (age 50-65)
Ahh the Baby Boomers. Aptly termed that they have access to 70 percent of those U.S. disposable earnings. I am sure we have all noticed the memes with the child talking to his Grandma on the telephone with an exasperated look on his head trying to explain the internet. Don’t allow this generation fool you. They’re as technology savvy as other generations for the most part. The distinction is they have to learn it and it doesn’t come next hand as it does to state Generation Z or the Millennials.
I said this generation chiefly targets retirement and spending some time with their grandchildren. Those classmates, if you remember, are Generation Z. They would like to contact their Grandkids and societal media is the easiest way to do that. This cute generation loves loves loves Facebook. 84.9% of Boomers explained they belong to and are busy on Facebook. If it has to do with social media they are extremely loyal.
- 60% of men and women in the 50 — 64 year old class, which is most of the boomer population, are currently on a minumum of one social networking site (slideshare.net)
- Baby boomers spend 27 hours each week online, which is two hours more per week than people who are between 16 and 34. (slideshare.net)
- 61% of seniors and 46 percent of seniors age 65+ utilize email. (slideshare.net)
- 82.3% of baby boomers belong to one social networking site. (Supply DMN3)
- Baby boomers are less likely to utilize other social networking platforms such as Twitter and Instagram. 5 percent of 65+ year olds internet use Twitter as compared to 31 percent of 18-29 year olds, and just 1 percent of the identical group on line has an Instagram account. (Supply Post Control Marketing)
- Baby boomers do it based on what they view social networking, and a lot of the time it’s focused on finding more information. (Supply DMN3)
- Baby Boomers are 19 percent more likely to share content in comparison to some other generation, reinforcing the notion that Facebook’s demographic is trending slightly older. (Supply Digital Trends)
- Baby Boomers are the most likely to utilize a smartphone to Produce a buy from social media (Source Marketing Sherpa)
In fact, there are thousands of studies done on marketing to the different generations. I could speak with you all day about this but I will spare you (for the time being).
Everything boils down to is advertising to each different generation is based on analytics. If you just build a marketing program and hope for the very best you most likely will not get the outcome which you’re awaiting. As an expert social networking marketing professional, I would be remiss if I didn’t supply you with the advice of making it to the pros.
Having a committed advertising and marketing firm in your side will allow you to not just need to stay informed about each the data but it is going to let you have a creative outlet that’s knowledgeable and can create distinct marketing strategies which are geared specifically towards each generation.
The post Social Media Marketing for Many Generations appeared first on Crosby Interactive.